Tuesday, October 20, 2009

My spidey sense was tingling....

So it's no secret that I've hated Trileptal since day one (Lola's seizure med). I've just had a mommy-sense thing that it doesn't work correctly for her. I think it supresses good stuff too. So anyway, these drop seizures/atonic seizures that Lola has been having coincided with the increase on the Trileptal. sigh. So, my poor girl didn't have to suffer through them to begin with.
:( Anyway, this is how our day went:
7:30 - Lola, Mommy and Leni report to EEG and get the electrodes attached. Lola did very well with this part, but she wasn't too impressed. Once the smurf hat was on, her face was all squished, which made her pout even funnier. We sat her in her little tumbleform chair and turned on the cartoons.
9:00 - Lola is crying inconsolably and sounds like she has a sore throat/cold. We're confused. I check the wrap at her neck, to find it's way too tight (I checked when she did it, but it readjusted itself once the tensor bandage was attached). Like constricting her airway tight. So I ran to get the technician and she cut it off. Disaster averted. Lola still cried her head off for over an hour. Then she projectile vomited all over Leni and I. Then she slept. Glorious sleep. She showed them what they needed to see (bad, Trileptal-related seizures), and was disconnected after FIVE HOURS. Brutal day. We got her cleaned up and changed and off we went to wait for the neurologist. for TWO HOURS. No joke. Luckily Lola was happy to wander down the hallway. We saw the fish, buddies on Unit 3, Sparkle the Clown, and the magnificent splendour that is the Alberta Children's Hospital. (if you don't think this is dripping with sarcasm, you must be new...) Just as we were partying it up on Unit 3, we were paged to return to neuro. That was a fun little jog while carrying Lola.
So - her EEG caught the "spells", which is good. Trileptal is out, Keppra is in. Please let this drug cooperate with Lola. We went through all the pros and cons and this one will be better than another one they were considering. By the time we got out of there it was four o'clock. Seriously. I had barf all over my sleeve and hadn't eaten since 8. I got off easy - Leni had to walk around wearing no shirt and a down-vest all day. So we filled our prescription and bolted.

Lola was pretty much strutting all day for some reason. It was funny. The nurse who used to look after the brain injury team said she thought she might cry. I told her she was way too tough for that. She said, "You're right. I said almost." Had a little chuckle at that. She hugged me and was completely ecstatic. There are some amazing people at the ACH. Seeing her peeps on unit three was so fun. Mel, Shannon, Jane, Lani, Rebecca (SLP), and a whole bunch of other cool cats I've forgotten. They're like family.

1 comment:

  1. mothers intuition is amazing isn't it?

    Your post made me cry...Im so happy that Lola is doing so great!

    ReplyDelete