Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Never quite prepared for what lies ahead...

"If you learn from your suffering, and really come to understand the lesson you were taught,you might be able to help someone else who is now in the phase you may have just completed.Maybe that's what it's all about after all... "
Anonymous


I am devastated for the McEwan family, who have lost their amazing mom/wife. My sister, Micheline, succumbed to complications due to the H1N1 virus, and lost her battle today. I am shocked and saddened by what the family has endured these past few weeks. Today was the worst day ever. My heart goes out to Mike, who has lost his best friend, Kate, Kelsie, Chrissy and Trev, who have lost the most incredible mom - the loudest cheerleader at their games, their fiercest defender, and their greatest support. Mich had a blast wherever she went - and I can still hear her laugh ringing in my head. I am devastated to think that the kids have lost their mom - and that they just grew up, in that instant. Innocence lost. It's more than I can bear.

I'm going to think of funny things I remember about Mich:
- the last cross-border shopping trip consisted of Mich, Paula and I - Paula was done shopping after about ten minutes, and Mich and I still had our game faces on like 6 hours later. Finally, when Paula couldn't take it anymore, we got in the car to go. Just then, Mich decided she needed to buy toilet paper, so we went to a grocery store and Paula and I stayed in the car. She came out (after a good, long while) with a bag full of these tiny Breyer's ice cream cups, and spoons for each of us. Hey, if we had to wait on the bridge for awhile, at least we had mini ice creams!
- Dina, Mich and I went to Swish Delish for dinner, and had a few good laughs. We actually topped this trip off with ice cream as well, come to think of it.
- I used to sneak into Mich's bathroom when I was little, and play with her make up and her Tickle deodorant - I used to watch her and her friends get ready to go to Skate Country (they had their own skates! With blue wheels and rabbits feet hanging off the sides!),and basically pretended I was cool like she was.

I can't believe she's gone. Just like that.

3 comments:

  1. you always know exactly what to say. i'm so sad for all of you. love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gill,

    Its funny how you read a quote that someone posted and it just sort of came at the perfect time. Like Aunt Cindy says, she does not believe in coincidences. Thanks for sharing your great news and quote. There is nothing stronger in this world then a mothers love. Lola is shining through because of you. You are one special Mom. See you soon.

    Aunt Faye

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry Gill. That is awful news. Thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete