Thursday, August 19, 2010

New look and some tough love...

Okay, so I realize this background's a little busy, but I stumbled across it this morning and it's called Lola - so yes, I had to add it. You'll get used to it. Hey, it may keep you awake!

So Lola's in boot camp this week. We've got a problem with her sleeping. Steve has been sleeping in Lola's room, in her single bed, with Lola. There's the first problem. Steve's not a small guy, and Lola loves to put her back against the wall, and jam her feet into his spine. All. Night. Long. Did I mention he's been staying with her since January? Not ideal. The reason he's been sleeping with her is because she was having seizures in the night. How could we just tuck her into bed for the night and go down the hall for eight hours to our bed? Anyway, now she's not having seizures at night, and we all need to get some sleep. When we were on the island, she slept horribly. When I woke up one morning to find Steve had slept on the couch all night, he told me that my snoring was so bad that he had to leave. Me? Seriously? Anyway, so me snoring in her face can't be helping her out in the sleep capacity either (sometimes I sleep with her to give Steve a break). To top this all off, she's spoiled. That's right...spoiled. We attend to her every whine, whimper, and yell. We know how frustrated she is having such limited communication skills - it's got to be rough. So we jump whenever she makes a noise..."Do you want a drink? Do you want to go outside? A snack? A book?" Yeah. Repeat this all day long. So at night, this continues - we don't want her to cry in her room alone. So last night, we started operation tough love. Lola slept from 9 until 1:20 - then she pounded on her door. I didn't go in....yes, it was rough. Remember doing the same thing with your child when he/she was a baby? The whole cry it out thing? Well, it's just as bad doing it when your child is four. And has a seizure disorder. And can't tell you why she's up. sigh. Anyway, she banged on her door for about 20 minutes, then I heard nothing. I waited a few minutes, then stealthily (is that a word?) crept into her room. Lo and behold, she was asleep back in her bed! She didn't collapse in a heap at her door. She did the smart thing and went back to bed. She did the same thing at 3:30. At 5 I sent Steve in when she woke up and he stayed with her until 7.
So that's how day one went. Not bad?

No comments:

Post a Comment